Knowledge is a powerful asset. How do you keep current in your field? Are you disciplined in the commitment to achieving excellence? What makes you the linchpin of your team and crucial to the vision’s success? Who do you trust for advice or your source of information?
- Turn the Ship Around – David Marquet. A remarkable true story and resonates with me as I know some of the Officers and Chiefs. I also worked for Commodore Mark Kenny as his Assistance Chief of Staff for Logistics at COMSUBGRUTWO. He was an Admiral by that time.
- Extreme Ownership – Jocko Willink. We went through Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, FL, and took every flag as an honor company.
- Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness, and Superior Results – Mike Rother. One of the best “continuous improvement” descriptions I have ever read.
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek
- The Phoenix Project – Author: Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, George Spafford. Another favorite…although fictional I could relate to every character in today’s workforce.
- Fearless – Eric Blehm. An amazing true story about Adam Brown.
- Fortitude – Dan Crenshaw
These are a good start and provide a solid foundation for what I am about and who I am. Where do you stand when it comes to the principles of leadership?